Wednesday, February 12, 1997

World Update #5

OK here it finally is - Update V. Due to great demand I have completed this
sooner than expected.

Please if this stuff bores you shitless then tell me and I'll stop sending it
to you. Otherwise, be informed...

First thing to comment on is December travels. As well as going to Spain I
ventured up to a chilly Solleftea (middle of Sweden) for Christmas and then to
a freezing Edinburgh for Hogmanay (New Year celebrations).

Christmas in Sweden was a treat. I met about 15 completely new relatives that I
formerly only new of due to making a family tree before I left New Zealand.
Also there were a number of additions to make as little babies keep popping up
everywhere. It was a child-less christmas except for two cute little babies.
One Swedish, one Vietnamese. One of the highlights had to be meeting Hallan for
the first time. At 85 she is the last of a generation and this made the meeting
an especially significant one for me. 

As I stepped out of the car, after a snow filled trip from the airport, I was
greated by her. She was waiting outside on the snowy ground in her normal
indoor clothes whilst I stepped out of the car fully padded in my jersey and
double layered jacket! I was frozen to the bone and she as warm as though it
was a bright summers day. It was one of those moments. We both just cried and
hugged each other. Not a word was spoken. Hallan later mentioned that I
reminded her of my mother and grandmother. My grandmother being Hallan's
cousin. For me Hallan reminded me of my grandmother and grandma's sister Lallla
who visited us in NZ many years ago. Sune and Sigrid who took me from the
airport probably wondered what the hell was going on.

From then on it was an exciting continual process of meeting new relatives. At
first I would go up to them and say "Hello I'm Mark" but after the second "We
know" response given with a smiling face I gave up. It was evident that word
had got around and there would be someone new at christmas in Solleftea this
year.

Christmas eve dinner (when christmas is celebrated in Sweden) had a full house.
The table was laiden with the usual swedish christmas fare. In between
"catching-up" on the gossip and mouthfuls of good food they started on drinking
songs lead most ably by Hallan. If you've never had aquavit before I can highly
recommend it. This bit of wisdom is unfortunately from previous experiences as
at this christmas I couldn't drink. I was on anti-biotics from catching the
latest London bug. Only a handful of us stayed at Hallan's that night. Most
went home.

The days following christmas comprised of venturing out into the wilderness
(oops I mean Sweden) and visiting the clan in their own homes. This was great
as I got to see some of Sweden and the local area, a particularly uninteresting
bridge (sorry Sara), a heck of a lot of ski slopes and ski jumps. In each place
I was given the complete run-down on local history including the "I went to
school there" and " We used to live there 20 years ago" and "Oh! I didn't know
that was there. That's new!" stuff. I loved it all!

After Sweden I returned to work for two days. One the first day a colleague
asked me what christmas was like and I had completely forgotten that it was
christmas. There was so much happening that it kind of passed me by. I guess
it's still hard to accept a christmas without the sunshining down upon you. We
did do a big present opening thing on the 24th though. Each present was
accompanied by a few verses of poetry which was to help you guess what was
inside. I'm not sure everyone understood my poor english verses!

Then I was sick for a while and only just recovered to leave London again and
head for Hogmanay. This involves drinking lots of whiskey around the streets of
Edinburgh - mainly the Royal Mile and Princes Street (you would have loved it
Olle - all that whiskey!). I met up with some ultimate friends and we partied
into the new year and celebrated in the normal way. Some did the Hogmanay thing
(no names). This involves snogging as many people as you possibly can in one
night. For those Swedes that do not know what this is I am not going to explain
in words. Nor am I going to explain visually. Ask Johan Peter - I'm sure he
knows all about it! I read an article in the paper just recently that said a
number of Hogmanay goers where suffering from mouth sores. Enough said.

Although I think it worth mentioning that a there were queues for snogging
policemen and policewoman. Another thing I noticed was that the policemen
tended to be of the older variety. I wondered if they mostly are in Edinburgh
or ....? They were a cheerful bunch though. Much different from the London
"bobbys". For example when we were asked if we were carrying any bottles into
the city they did not check us. They accepted that we were speaking the truth.
In London you would have been searched regardless, I'm sure. 

Since returning again to London I have been working working working. As
December is our companies year  end we are very busy. We are having to work all
weekend as well so I am finding it hard to study. Also on my mind is fitness. I
haven't played ultimate since Nov (I think) and I will be playing in Maui only
five weeks from now. I need to do some serious fitness work which basically
involves going for runs around where I live. The only problem is that it is
very cold at the moment ; hey and lets face it - I'm lazy.

Really looking forward to the trip away now. After working most of January I'll
need it.

Much love and kisses to you all, puss o kram

No comments:

Post a Comment