Thursday, March 3, 2011

Scoootland [WU XXV]

And so here we are in Bonnie Scotland!

Whist I may have said on FB that "Scotland isn't Thailand" there wasn't the slightest bit of regret in that.

It didn't hit me till I got to the second level of the double-decker airport bus and could see the lovely views across the countryside that I realised I was overyjoyed to be back in Edinburgh. It was 0 degrees but no snow on the ground. The sun was shining and there wasn't a cloud to be seen.
I've always said my favourite weather is a Scottish Summer which in practice is freezing cold but refreshingly fresh air with the sun glowing down with a lovely warmth to it. Magic.

I'm staying with Ffyona, her husband Phil, and daughters Caitlin and Emily. The days have fallen into a lovely routine. Phil and Em are out of the house early doors to work and grandmas respectively. They live in Fife (the Kingdom of Fife) which is roughly one hour from Edinburgh where Phil works and grandma who looks after 2 yr old Emily lives in Edinburgh.

So needless to say I don;'t get to see them in the morning. However Fee and Caitlin come into my room and have a chat about whats happening in their lives. It's really cool just to sit in bed and listen. The accent if nothing else is something special.

In fact I had to think "Bless" this afternoon when I paid in the local store for some photocopies and the lady tried to upsell me 100x tea bag because they were on special. Then as I left she said "Cherie-bye". Love it.

I'll just quickly go back to Thailand for a sec as there was some things I wanted to relate that I never got a chance to due to the lack of a PC (read lack in inclination to sit down and type).

So imagine yourself in a country where:
  • you must smile at someone smiling at you - it's considered impolite not to
  • a lady selling home made drinks in a small town will give you 4 for the price of 3 (just to be nice) when she sells them for 1/4 of the price in Bangkok
  • a random guy in Koh Samed will let you hop onto the back of his scooter to be taken to the other side of the island and then insist on not being paid
  • the local cook near your school (who by the way makes the best food you will ever sample in Thailand) continually undercharges you and gives you treats for free - just because he is an especially cool guy
Can't be bad eh?

Once you are out of the big towns there seems to be a general philosophy of being kind and thoughtful to all. Living the simple life and having enough to make ends meet and no more. As Woon (the cook) says "When the school moves business will go down but hey, I'll just go out fishing for food like I used to". You'll be hard pressed to find a happier couple - him and his wife.

And now not to let Scotland feel left out - 
  • although my luggage didn't immediately follow me the fella at Edinburgh airport was all joy and assistance. He laughed at me not hearing the call for me over the intercom to which I said was the result of the Lothians police dog picking me out for having money in my pocket (yep - a money sniffing dog). He said with the efficiency that caused you immediate relief that all was under control that it would be couriered to me within a few hours and if not here's a number to follow it up
  • both of the local train conductors were extremly helpful
  • as was the lady selling me something which I cannot recall
It was nice to see some cheery faces.

And so now it's just before Caitlin returns from school and Em and Gran are in the house. Em is showing off how she knows yes and no which in her language equates to "Uh-huh" and "No" in the cutest 2 year old Scottish accent you can imagine. "yes" is definately not part of her vocab.

It will be all-change soon with Caitlin substituting for Gran and then Fee coming home before Phil returns from work later on.

We are off to see Caitlin in the Gondoliers this weekend for which she's been having so many late nights rehearsing for. Looking forward to it.

Laters for now, my fingers have run out of "juice" (which by the way translates to Coke or Fanta etc over here).

No comments:

Post a Comment