Sunday, May 22, 2011

Vegetables Are Good For You

And so is vegging out. In fact I, and I'm predicting you, don't do it nearly enough.


The other day I needed to kill some time whilst a Duty Free invoice was being prepared for me. They said it would take about an hour which wasn't enough time to return home and yet too much time to wander around the store.


So I headed off and eventually found myself in a small pide shop. Not only was the shop small but so also was the pide. That's not to say they were bad.


The good thing about this event is that I finished my pide and then just sat there watching the events outside unfold.


In direct line-of-site of the front door was a shoe-shine man of which there are many in Istanbul. I was wondering what he and many vendors like him thing about during the day just to pass the time. They are often unoccupied and I was thought it might be hard to a) simply sit there all day and b) avoid becoming mind numbingly bored.


Naturally I never got an answer to the question but as my own mind strayed from what I could see I found myself marvelling at the simple.


I thought how amazing it was that there I was: in Istanbul, eating pide, drinking Turkish tea and just watching things happen. I guess the coolest part was just that I was there. 


I think it's often easy to be in a foreign country and get to the point where it isn't special anymore. Especially in my situation whereby I'm basically just in a routine of going to work and returning home every day.


I remember in a previous World Update talking about walking to work in Edinburgh and thinking how much like a bunch of ants we must look. I was particularly aware of how most people were simply looking down at the ground and were in their own little worlds.


There's more to life than staring at the ground or your feet I feel.


Take time to take time...


Stop and look and listen and smell and feel and hear.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment