Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Dervish Gate



"Words are not truth, they are sounds that come forth from our mouths. Even the world's most eloquent master of words ... does not have the ability to explain to us ... even the simplest instant in life."

"A relationship is not only about travelling the world. Not only about sharing beautiful music, or fine Chilean wine and steak with some fancy French sauce. A relationship is not just flowers on Valentine's Day, presents on birthdays, anniversaries in expensive pubs, sex five times a week...A relationship is the desire of two individuals to consciously, willingly, create a whole life together."

"We bestow on ourselves our own rewards and punishments for all our deeds."

"Die before you die."

"... I'll refrain from doing evil because I'm not evil, rather than out of fear of punishment." [with reference to 'going to Hell' being used as a motivator in the Bible, Quran..]

"What I felt was a profound peacefulness within me, a perfect bliss. Bliss in my ignorance, peacefulness at having accepted my lack of understanding, and the satisfaction of being able to feel something without over-thinking it."

The Dervish Gate, Ahmet Ümit

One particular section of this book really made me think. 

1.
I have a sneaking suspicion that people who find an answer to the mysteries of the human condition, the universe, et al, come to the conclusion that there is no conclusion.

2.
I also suspect it's harder to face the realities of life than to master the one-handed clap. Or to put it another way - those people who face life and it's challenges deserve a pat on the back.

3.
Finally, I might regret having postulated 1. and 2. Thus, I reserve the right to change my mind :)



No comments:

Post a Comment