Monday, June 20, 2011

Cats

Another Turkish red-tape story. This time with cats…

I'm sure I've spoken of this before and I'm sure I'll speak of it again.

A week or more ago I took a trip to a new area for me called Fatih

Of all the areas of Istanbul this one is often referred to as the most religious - in the sense that you are more likely to see women wearing a niqab or al-amira. Perhaps it's more religious because it is closer to the old historical area of Sultanamet. Whilst the al-amira is quite common in Istanbul the niqab isn't. I'd shudder to guess at percentages but a rough idea from simple observation might be: European style of clothing 70%, niqab 25%, al-amira 5%.  

I got up really early for my trip to the Police department in Fatih who manage passports, visas, permits and the like. 

[Opps I had to hit <backspace> a few times here as I realised I'd written about this already! - see "Efes Dark Brown"]

On this occasion and also following my return with the correct proof of sufficient money I took a zig-zag journey through Fatih just to see more of the area.

This took me through a new camii (mosque) or rather one that was having some work done to it. 

As with a number of mosques there are many entry points as the compass goes. In between the entry points in this care were grassy areas fenced off with iron railings. 

The local stray cats think this is a great thing as it allows them a private area of their own away from the public if they want some space to have babies, lie in peace or whatever. Having said this they are very friendly and like to interact with people albeit usually near the fences to they can make a quick exit to safety if needs be.

On my second trip here I parked for quite a while. I'd returned to the same spot as the previous time as it's off the main track and there were some cats that seemed to like me so I was hoping for a rendezvous.

Sure enough they popped up and we had a chat. Rather than pick them up or put them on my lap I let them do their own thing. I've noticed that if you stop petting them as well they tend to make up their minds as to whether they want to sit down and snooze or more onto the next "victim" in search of food.

After half an hour or so I had 4 cats sitting on me. 2 were slouching over my head and shoulders with the assistance of my backpack to sit on and the other 2 were on my lap. I couldn't sit up straight as to do so would have caused the 2 on the top to fall down.

So there I was sitting like a hunchback for quite a considerable time whilst the locals meandered past me with a variety of looks on their faces.

It was clear that some thought I was mad and to be fair I'd have to support them if it came down to betting. I can be pretty darn eccentric at the best of times.

Others - usually women or children - would smile (with me not at me). 

And fewer still would stop and say something. This particular minority I found very interesting. They tended to be at least 60+ and when they spoke to me Allah often came up in the conversation. Of course I have no idea in what context but based on their body language and tone I'd say it was a compliment and got the impression that it was a good thing to "be at one" with the animals.

I was quite chuffed with their praise.




No comments:

Post a Comment