Wednesday, June 1, 2011

What a difference a Day Makes

It's so silly it's funny. Not one day after I've maxxed out on the Excitement-o-meter and I find out there's another level hitherto unknown.


At the end of my classes today I found out that my contract isn't renewed for June. A little short notice you might say but that's life when you are not under contract.


And the day started so well too. First thing in the morning I finally met with success after having tried twice before to open a bank account. So I was well happy when I arrived at work for my four classes.


The first two brought me down to size. One of them had me trying to elicit "What is his name?", "What is her job?" for an hour. It's really been an eye-opener being a teacher. It's also really good for learning patience.


Then the second two were fantastic. Ended on a real high.


In between I was joking with a married couple (students) who I'd come across in a previous class and had them competing with each other to give me the past tense of some verbs. We had a ball. I also picked on the wife because she kept using the pronoun "I" when the husband used "We". They were such a sweet couple.


I'm gutted for a number of reasons:
1. I love my students
2. I love my colleagues
3. I won't get a chance to say bye to the students
4. I won't get a chance to connect with the students outside of school now either


That being said there is a silver lining. I'm now free to .... well .... do anything!


There was a post just recently on a travellers site saying they needed volunteers down in the south of Turkey. I've initiated enquiries.


I can go on holiday!


I can also go the all the meetings I had been missing because of the odd work hours being a teacher.


And finally it's a good time to sit back and reassess where things are at.

No comments:

Post a Comment