Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Slow but Damned Cute

Ülkü is a student from my old work. She introduced me to her friend Sabriye who in turn introduced me to a group of Turks who get together for various events.


The name of the group is Etkinlik Dünyası which when I translated it came back as World Event. Ha! I only just translated it as part of writing this blog. Quite a grand title.


Anyway this is only one of many groups run by Kemal - a man of much experience in his 63 years. My first interaction with Etkinlik Dünyası was with Kemal guiding us around some sites in Istanbul. 


Sabriye, prior to the event, had told me that the members were older than most. I had anticipated a bunch of geriatrics who enjoyed getting together for tea and crumpets with an educational theme. What I wasn't prepared for was a bunch of geriatrics with the energy and enthusiasm of people in their 30s.


We spent the whole day walking around Istanbul taking photos and stopping occassionally so Kemal could pass on his knowledge of a particular site. When we stopped for a tea break Sabriye pulled out a skipping rope from her bag! I thought this was an odd thing to be carrying around with you on a guided tour of a city but turns out it's a mini-theme with this group.


Abdulhalim, who is 70, was 2nd in line to hop about with the rope. It gives you a feel for the nature of the people.


Since the initial meeting we've: trekked 14km of Belgrade Forest, trekked Beykoz Forest, visited a number of museums and camii (mosques), been to Miniatürk which is a collection of miniatures of the famous sites of Turkey, gone ice skating and swimming.


Thus on my Facebook I am now a member of 4 or 5 groups. All the people are Turkish and so is the language of the discussions i.e. I don't understand a thing.


Basically it's great for me as it gives me something to do and people to spend the time with which in my current predicament of having not so many friends to kick around with is a great thing. Ha what a sentence - don't show that to any potential employers!


As mentioned above one of the trips was to Beykoz Forest. On this particular trek I encountered something I've never seen before on a walk in any country - turtles!


I noticed that some of the group were gathered around something and went to inspect. Low-and-behold there was a turtle about the length of my foot. If you really want me to I'll take a picture of my foot so you can measure :)


It was a real surprise and I didn't expect to see them again but I did. In fact I almost trod on one. It was doing it's own trek from one side of the path to the other and was partially covered in growth.


You can imagine my relief at having seen it before standing on it! Really - I can't think of anything worse than treading on a turtle in the forest - can you?



No comments:

Post a Comment